Pages

Monday 4 May 2015

May is here ... but .....

OK .. I can finally write a post without a cold weather snow gripe .. amazing eh?
Now I can write about the conflict of weather verses getting the deck coated in time.
Verses what will happen when it is time to dig up the old path and lay in the new one ??

I spent from 7:15 to 1:45 watering the gardens on Saturday .... edging my way around the mess on the patio .. because the deck had to be cleared out to be cleaned and sealed, which is a good thing!
This was my garden PA's "need to get done chore" and it is finally getting done ...

But the weather is warm .. plants are reaching out, the trees are dressing up and where is that thing about Spring showers happening .. see ? I do have a complaint but as I said it is in conflict because it has to stay dry to finish the deck ... BIG sigh ... the new hose is great though so I'll soldier on.

How about some pictures ?
Every day it changes .. so even today this has expanded !
My Pearl Bush is not looking good though .. anyone else with a "slow" budding one too?

The standard Bleeding Heart has volunteers filling out spaces for me, which is great.
Who doesn't like them ? .. lots of little Sweet Woodruff too along with Gold Creeping Jenny.


The hellebore bed is filling up FAST ... I have to find a few more front fillers that tumble a bit.
I have Woodland Phlox and beautiful small campanula ... plus moss phlox .. if they get dry or messy all you have to do is cut it back fro fresh growth during the season.

The ally way side is filling up with day lilies and a few other goodies ... I bought native  plants at Loblaws .. three Trillium ! (right lower area) ... trying to start a patch of them yet again ..
I have had no luck with the hellebore bed area for them, so maybe this side will work ?

My dry stream bed is a mess and very naked right now ... the Fire Island hosta are coming up nicely and I have those copper necklaces for them to deter slug mafia !
Pinot Gris heuchera  is looking good ... it is an older gal but she still pumps it out for me : )

Things don't look "pretty" right now ... it will take a few weeks ... and then the new contractor will be working on the stone paths ... last year was a disaster ... you get what you pay for and just because a guy ploughs your snow and talks nicely about gardening ... doesn't mean he actually knows what he is doing !!!!!!!!
So yet again this Spring has been a total CF on most fronts but we are so hoping by mid June things will have settled down and I can just play in the garden like I have dreamed of for years and years and years ..... BIG sigh !! and yes Garden PA can go fishing without me whining about something?

Meanwhile here are some "other" pictures



The moon has been amazing for a few nights when I can remember to LOOK and grab my camera.

8 comments:

Country Gal said...

Looks like things are doing well there to ! The weather has been wonderful for us sunny and highs of 20C or more but this afternoon here we are having a nice fresh spring rain and possible thunderstorms . The Orioles and hummers are back as are the Barn Swallows , house Wrens and Grosbeaks so I am thrilled as I am a birder nut lol ! Lovely photos ! I cant wait till the May 2/4 weekend cause that's when I get all my flower planting done my gardens are all ready and waiting now ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

outlawgardener said...

Gorgeous moon shots! Good news about the deck and the stone paths getting done. Soon your garden will be lush and full again. Things happen quickly once those leaves start popping out of the ground.

NanaDiana said...

Your plants are looking good to me. We finally have a few things up and our daffodils are just starting to bloom. I noticed the tulips are up too, so I am happy for that.

Hope you have a great week and get some rain...or don't! lol xo Diana

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

What happened to the pathways? Did I miss something? OMG you have to redo them? WTH? Yikes....I would not be a happy gardener at all)-:
Everything is growing there. Its so fun to see how different it is there compared to here. Everything has been up and going for a couple months here. I am ready for Fall...LOL(-: J/K (-:

Jennifer said...

We seem to be having wonderful warm weather, but the lack of rain is concerning. I haven't gotten the house out just yet (other than to water the newly planted things), but the garden is getting a bit desperately dry.
The other day my foot and leg went through one of the planks of our deck/porch! I was all alone and couldn't get my leg loose. At first I panicked, but then I took a few deep breaths and tried to calm down. Then slowly I worked my foot and leg up and out. No refinishing going on here! Time for a new deck I think!!

Nadezda said...

Glad that the thing you bought against 'slug mafia' works, Joy!
Your photos show how fast spring runs and summer is over the corner.Here spring is very lazy, tulips are in buds, no blooms.

Carolyn ♥ said...

So glad your sleepy gardens are finally waking up! Isn't it amazing what a little sunshine can do?

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving such nice comments ... but I am so dead tired from working on the garden I can't answer each one like I usually do.
Please know I appreciate you all very much though !!