Pages

Monday 15 July 2019

The Wait .....

So ... the "wait" to see if I can get my little ones through their stages to be able to fly away without harm is nerve wrecking ... this morning one of them almost escaped getting through the cheese cloth protection.
This picture was taken a few days ago so they are even bigger and closer to the chrysalis stage
 Like every expectant mom I am worried something will go wrong, fingers crossed.
Other than that .. the garden is humming along .. albeit a little tired looking from our heat and humidity ..
New echinacea called Meadow Mama .. I don't have it in the best position right now of course.
Black Eyed Stella has been doing her thing in the allyway garden.
Big Blue is finally turning blue .. note to self , cut some SOON !!
The various lilies are starting to show their faces
Blue Mouse Ears hosta .. their flowers always remind me of crocus . so a little Spring fall back ?
I have two of these and they are tough little beauties that I thought would be fussy .. phew !
Happy Returns seems to be happy ...
I love a punch of orange ... especially from the butterfly weed aka Asclepias tuberosa.
It reminds me that another season will be arriving  ... eventually
...and... that these beauties will turn black and "rattle" Blue False Indigo is a mainstay in my garden.
Am I already wishing summer away for Autumn ? ... hum .....
Until then .. the mother of all trees in my gardens "Pacific Sunset Maple" shades and protects all the little lives that need the relief from the sun and heat.
More gratuitous pictures to squeeze in ?
Astilbe, hosta, ferns, heuchera , brunnera .... I love to really squeeze in as much as possible.
 I planted way too many liatris .. I think it is the original Kobold... they look amazing even before they flower out .. almost alien ?
Veronicastrum "Fascination " .... support is needed especially since the sprinkler system can batter the poor thing ... just turning that pretty light violet colour now.
Dark blues pop out ...Clematis  Romantika yet again
Pop of blue/purple from the "President" and to come with those amazing Wedgewood blues from the Variegated Porcelian Berry vine for Autumn
Last long view for mid July  ....

12 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I always enjoy a tour of your garden Joy. I like the way you are protecting those cats. I have always wanted to try that sea holly. Is yours in full sun? I always thought full sun would be required. It is such a pretty color and architectural, such an interesting plant. I think Blue Mouse Ears is the least fussy of any mini hostas. I have also found the Cheating Heart is a hardy one if you want a little shot of yellow color in the garden. If it didn't have to go through customs I would send you a piece of it. I am sure it would travel well. Have a great week.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Daylily Mistress ! LOL
Thank you so much : ) .. I never know for sure if the cats find a way to escape ? my protection .. soon I have to unwrap and see what is really going on inside .. fingers crossed!
Yes .. you would think full sun and lean conditions .. but some how I get away with only afternoon sun and the soil is probably a little too rich for them .. why they smile for me is mystery but I am happy about it .. I just cut some to dry in the house.
I looked up Cheatin' Heart and that is so pretty too ! I so wish we could share plants .. that would be awesome .. BIG sigh ! I have Curly Fries and Little Miss Sunshine so they do their thing with a punch of yellow for me .. I love a little shock of yellow here and there eh ?
Thanks for thinking of me with the plant .. I appreciate it .. gardeners are the most generous people : )

Linda said...

Have those babies flown away yet? What a lovely experience to watch their life cycle.

Snowbird said...

Your garden is looking beautiful, mine would die in the heat. Fingers crossed the monarch caterpillars make it!xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Linda ! I dropped by your blog and your plants are smiling ! .. a couple of chrysalis but no fly bys ? as of yet .. hoping all will go well still !
It is amazing to watch the stages evolve .. tiny miracles : )

Hello Snowbird and thank you so much ! .. the sprinkler system is a life saver for my garden and my sanity : ) they wouldn't survive it otherwise ? LOL .. yes .. it is my heart's desire to see these "babies" make it !

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

How are the caterpillars doing? I hope they are hanging in there.
Your plants are all looking wonderful!

Nadezda said...

Joy, love your astilbe! Am waiting for mine to bloom. Your blue Eryngium is very pretty, mine didn't survive the winter, it's a pity.
Your garden is wonderful.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Cindee .. Thank you !
I have 4 chrysalis right now .. I don't know where the other cats ran away to but I wish I had kept them in a container . next time I will !

Hi Nadezda Thank you ! .. I have a thing for astilbe .. they are so versatile in the garden eh? .. It is always a gamble whether my eryngium will survive each crazy harsh winter .. but so far so good !

Jason said...

'The President' is a stunner! Good luck to your Swallowtails - hope they all transform successfully.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks Jason .. it smothers the dead lilac tree (actually I have 3 vines there for a full affect .. I have 4 chrysalis .. I don't know where the other 4 managed to go but I am working with these guys ? LOL

Casa Mariposa said...

I love the wide shots of your garden! Wonderful! It's very tidy and pretty. I love that coneflower!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks Tammy ... I get that a lot about the tidy part .. I think it must be because of the walkway ? .. keeps things in line ? .. yup this echinacea is different .. now if only it survives our winters ?