Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Reaching Out .....

Reaching out can be a rather odd event when it is from some one you have no idea of, and especially if it is because of a blog post .... ESPECIALLY if that blog post was from years ago.

"Hi - my name is Alonzo, and I work at Artsy. While researching Johannes Vermeer, I found your page: How Many Colours
I am reaching out to certain website and blog owners that publish content in line with our mission to make all the world’s art accessible to anyone. We hope to continue promoting arts education and accessibility with your help.
Our Johannes Vermeer page provides visitors with Vermeer's bio, over 15 of his works, exclusive articles, and up-to-date Vermeer exhibition listings. The page also includes related artists and categories, allowing viewers to discover art beyond our Vermeer page. We would love to be included as an additional resource for your visitors via a link on your page.
If you are able to add a link to our Vermeer page, please let me know, and thanks in advance for your consideration."
Best,
Alonzo

I was amazed to say the least, the original post was inspired by the movie "The Girl with the Pearl Earring".
In short, the post was about the depth and variation of colours that we see in nature and the sky. 

I had the opportunity to live in the Netherlands for four years and it ingrained a soft spot for Dutch artists ... actually Van Gogh is my favorite with a side dish of Monet, who of course is not Dutch but there it is.
However you never know just by coincidence when you happen to see a piece of art that strikes your interest and you are curious to know more about the work and the artist.
It can have a domino affect and can lead you on to more and more art.
I know my curiosity of Gustav Klimt was also inspired by a movie as well .. there is a pattern here ?
The Tree of Life :

In any case, by way of Alonzo's reaching out I have been introduced to a wonderful site that is dedicated to bringing art to as many people as possible.
I know, I am supposed to be a garden blogger, but for this one post .. I wanted to dabble by way of a helping hand to a site that may open more eyes to art they may not have seen.

14 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Thanks for the information. I love art of all kinds- from European landscapes to modern/pop art. I love it all! What fun that they found you through that old post. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. xo Diana

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love art in any form. I might go look at this. Thanks for the post.

Nadezda said...

Hi, Joy!
I love Vermeer very much, have seen his work in Amsterdam Royal museum. The film Girl with peal earring is my favorite!

Jennifer said...

I have always loved the placid beauty of the artwork of Vermeer. Van Gogh is my favourite Impressionist and I love Klimt too. And speaking of movies... there was an interesting one last year called "Woman in Gold" that focused on the true story of a Klimt portrait that the Nazis stole. After the war the painting was passed to a national museum in Austria and the Austria government refused to give it back to the surviving descendants of the original subject of the portrait. It was interesting to watch if you ever come across it.

Rose said...

I tend to ignore these kinds of comments, but I'm glad you checked it out and found it to be a worthwhile website. Anything to help promote the arts these days is important!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Diana girl .. it has taken me a while to get back here.
I am glad you enjoyed the post and that it made you think of how wide your scope is of appreciating art .. that is so nice to hear. I try to keep an open mind to modern art even though I tend to gravitate to the old masters. Art is such an individual like or dislike.

Hello Lisa girl ... have a cruise on the site and see what treasures they might have?

Nadezda girl hello there, I so regret not being able to get into the Amsterdam Royal museum .. that and the Van Gogh .. but VG was under renovation at the time I think too.
That mvie was fascinating to me .. seeing what every day life was like and what they went through during those times .. I loved it too !

Jennifer girl YES ! I saw that film, almost a documentary portraying what that poor woman had to go through to get the art work back that was hers to have from the very beginning!!
It makes you sick to think how much has been taken from rightful owners .. so much missing to this very day.
I meant to add how much I love our own Canadian artists like Emily Carr , Tom Thompson and the Group of Seven .. aboriginal art is so beautiful too. I wish I could have some of the real deal myself ? LOL

Hello Rose girl .. yes it took me for a loop until I read it a few times and realized it was just spam .. I enjoy helping promote a worthy cause like this : )

Hoover Boo said...

I got that email too. Hmmm....

RobinL said...

Very unusual request Joy. I'm not sure I would have been so cooperative, but the internet has made me quite jaded. I have very little knowledge of art, and have never taken any art history classes. I often wish I had. But I do enjoy brightly colored art, and enjoy "collecting" it on my Pinterest board called Colorful Art.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi HB ... might have been the same one ? LOL

Hello Robin girl .. the internet can be a VERY scary place but some times you can dip your toe in and get a nice surprise .. yes, funny how we can get so much satisfaction collecting our treasures on Pinterest .. now if only I could find my account since my computer was "FIXED"?

outlawgardener said...

As a gardener, you work with color, texture, perspective with a growing and changing palette. Here's to great art on canvas and in soil!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Peter... thank you for wording that so perfectly ! .. Indeed we work with a living canvas that changes constantly .. what painter could handle that I wonder ? LOL

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love art in any form: Poetry, painting, songs, musical instruments, etc :)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks for stopping by Keith ... found your question very entertaining in a scientific way of course : )

Nadezda said...

Joy, happy Women's day, dear!