Pages

Friday 5 September 2008

Black Lace not so Black ?


Not long ago Hunky Gardener from Guy Meets Garden asked me to post pictures of my Black Lace Sambucus. I floundered this long because my Black Lace isn't so BLACK .. more brown but not from impending death .. this sucker is still alive but refuses to turn that gorgeous blackish colour it is supposed to be .. could be lack of watering regularly .. could be it just doesn't like me too. I just saw it appraised on a garden show as being an all purpose plant loving where ever you put it .. well .. there could be other places I COULD put it ? .. but I'm too nice to say ? haha
It does however foli against my gorgeous Artemisia ludovicianaValerie Finnis’ and "Blue Star" juniper, plus a white carnation with blue gray foliage. Then throw in a touch of Harvest Moon Echinacea and Pixie Meadowbrite.. well why the heck isn't it happy with all this great company ? .. I just don't know but I will be WATCHING it next year and it better start behaving !

9 comments:

Darlene said...

It's still really pretty even if it doesn't want to turn black.....I have the raccoon posted on my site today.....

Anonymous said...

I know it isn't what you expected but it is still beautiful with the burgundy lacy like foliage. Don't give up on it just yet. :)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi PGL .. I'm not giving up on it .. I just tell it that to make it "sweat" a little ? wink wink
I'm hoping it will feel more comfortable in its home there (I had moved it a few times, so that might be the answer to the question) .. fingers crossed for next year !

Darlene .. my god .. do you have a raccoon problem ? .. I have to get over there and see what is going on !

Megan said...

I have one that didn't do much the first year, and halfway through the second year, it really took off. Mine is pretty good black color now with all the strong new growth. It's in a mostly sunny spot, and I don't give it any attention. I watered when it was newer, but I don't do any supplemental water anymore, and it seems fine with that.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

I think that may well be it with this one .. ihad moved it a couple of times .. so perhaps it just needs to know I will leave it alone now ? LOL
I hope it does settle down and look as gorgeous as it does in some other pictures I have seen.

The Hunky Gardener said...

Thanks for posting the picture. I mean... how could you resist this hunk's request!? ...lol!

I have heard many people complain that the plant looked horrible the first year. It seems to need time to establish before it puts on a show. It's like the ragamuffin runt of the litter that eventually grows up to be a noble steed!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Hunky
I think you are right .. about the ragamuffin stage. After all i did move the poor thing a lot in its young life .. so I am the culprit .. I think ? Nobel steed eh ? LOL

Giddy said...

I'll give my Black Lace one more year (year 3) to get some "get up and go". This is the second year and the hosta in front of it is taller. I'm also not impressed with it's brown color. Perhaps it needs more sun?

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Giddy ! .. I'm so glad to hear from another gardener that is wondering about this "raved" upon sambucus .. I had such high hopes .. my problem was moving it a little too often I think .. so my fingers are crossed for next year too .. lets see who gets some action here eh ? LOL