Pages

Thursday 2 October 2008

Digitalis purpurea 'Excelsior' .. Wow !

This may look a little "Ho Hum .." but I am astounded that I finally got a foxglove to not only bloom for me during the summer but have a second flush now ! .. I had tried foxglove I don't know how many times with only the foliage ever showing up .. no flowers .. not even a pretend stalk to get me excited about .. zippity doo dah "nothing" . BUT the "Excelsior" cultivar for some reason (because I have tried this one before) has taken off nicely and I am so pleasantly surprised ... finally !



These flowers are so amazing to look at .. my pictures aren't great (of course I have to say that to buffer enlightened photographers ? haha) .. these tubular spotted bells ? just look impossible to be real ? .. I am wondering if I will have flowers again next year now ?

8 comments:

Katarina said...

Of course your photos are great! I love Foxgloves. Is this a perennial variety?
Katarina

Anonymous said...

The detail inside their blossoms is so intricate & pretty. I love foxgloves but they don't seem to last but a season or two in my garden.

Anonymous said...

They really are amazing to look at, and I'm not sure if it's that glorious icing pink, or the texture of the spots. Gorgeous!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Nancy .. I'm so thrilled just to get flowers and twice in the same season is remarkable to me ! .. They are awesome to look at : )

Hello PG .. I'm not sure what is going to happen next year either .. but I'm really glad I got this chance to see them : )
It will be a wait and see mission for next year !

Hi Katarina .. I think this is supposed to be the perennial cultivar .. but then again with my history of foxgloves .. I'm not sure what will happen next year. But this was a treat : )

Anonymous said...

Oh MY! That is gorgeous! Do you think it can be grown in pots?
Louise

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Louise .. It would be worth a try ! .. I have tried to grow this to the flower stage for a FEW years .. but switching to another location by the house seemed to do the trick .. so trying it out in a container .. I would give it a try too !

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Mine usually bloom in the spring and thats it. Maybe its to hot here after that. I have had them come back the following year but not after that. I love them though. Yours are beautiful!!!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Cindee .. we have hot humid weather here too .. but I think you stay hotter than we do .. this is the first time I got it to flower so it is all new and shiney for me ? LOL