Pages

Monday 25 May 2020

Finally .....

I can't help but post one last picture of my daffodils from the front bed, early morning .. that is why it is so dark .. but it lends an atmosphere of drama to what is considered a common Spring bulb.
It is a marvel to me because those hits of bright yellow did us so much good after such a long winter and such intense times with the virus .. thank you yellow smiles !
I know .. more yellow ? .. but this was a long time coming for me to split these two hosta.
What ever the reason, I kept putting it off each year .. true, they aren't huge, but you know how mature hosta can be ? My best tools are the root knife I have from Lee Valley, and this nifty long handled shovel with a sharp V point, I bought on end of season sale .. they are magic !
I would have split them in threes but I just couldn't manage the perfect number at the time sadly.
Some of the tulips out front .. more to come .. but this picture hardly shows how amazing the colours are as they open and shift with age.
Antoinette is later, it has multiple flowers on each stem with a very soft morphing shade display.
Ballerina, in the back garden is chameleon  like, with it's shaping and colours
Jack Frost has been such a delight with this tiny blue flowers and contrasting them with yellow just seems the best scenario.
Yes ! there are other Spring flowers .. we are always one of the last areas to advance with them so it may seem a bit boring to those who have moved way down the road from this ? ;-)
Wood phlox mixed under the hellebore
Colonies of Freckles violet
How sweet are they ?
I know from this stage these don't look like Cherry Garden dwarf iris , but I swear they are !
Purple Leaf Sand Cherry a vision of delight with such perfect tiny blossoms
I have three Niveum (white) epimedium  under this Japanese maple flanked by white moss phlox.
My fear is that wondering cat will dig up my efforts with the battle I have had over the years.
My best offense are trimmings from the barberry .. no harm but it seems to repel the rascal.
Long view of the sunny side border that is finally filling out .. it seemed to take forever this year of strange and terrible events .. fingers crossed all will be well eventually for everyone !

6 comments:

Snowbird said...

Oh, what a lovely post! As if spring flowers could EVER be boring. I oohed and ahhed throughout this post, so many delights. That pic of the daffs is fabulous, really dramatic! Your tulip are also so very vibrant. I have freckles too, such tiny flowers but so gorgeous. That border looks fantastic!xxx

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your garden is filling in so good. I am never tired of seeing bright new spring flowers. I mourn the time when we dip into those HOT summer days. Your primrose is so pretty. I can't seem to grow them.
It is such a clever idea to put barberry clippings where you don't want cats. I don't have barberry anymore. They have become invasive here.
Your violets are sweet. I love violets but I only have the wild purple violet. Speaking of invasive, they go everywhere. If they would stay in manageable clumps I would love them. I am always excited to see the first ones bloom then after a few weeks I begin to worry that they will take over the world. ha...
I split one of my yellow hostas this spring.I put a piece of it into a pot so it would be up higher for me to see the stems that are reddish.
Enjoy this lovely spring weather while you can. It was 90F here yesterday. It is supposed to be really hot again today. UGH...

Jenn Jilks said...

I wish you the best with your garden. I'm afraid we're in for a drought.
The daffies are wonderful. Spring brings such joy.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks Snowbird ;-)
We are usually s o behind other gardeners with Spring flowers it seems redundant to post them now ? .. Every day the gardens change , it is such a fast furious season when it starts it is so hard to keep on top of, at times you wish Fall was around the corner even this early ? LOL

Hello there Lisa .. we have had a streak of HOT days here .. up to 34C after just barley 20C can make it feel like an oven ! This is so far the only primrose type I have .. I love the double flowered ones but haven't gotten any ... yet ? Yes the barberry seems to do the job so fingers crossed it will keep doing it ! Hey I have Labrador violets that sprinkle themselves in other places but I don't mind .. Freckles has quite a large foot print where they are now but still not a problem .. yet ? Yes I have Fire Island that has red stems and they are very pretty indeed .. we can use the rain that is predicted for Friday , another fingers crossed scenario !

Hi Jen .. yes I get what you are saying about drought conditions .. if we didn't have the sprinkler system , I wouldn't have these gardens .. so coming to terms with this constant drought during the summer months is a common thread for gardeners .. sad but true.

Jason said...

Your garden is so beautiful, and I love those violets! Never seen anything like them.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Jason ! Thank you :-) I can't believe you haven't run into "Freckles" violet ? ... I do love them and Labrador violet .. they can act as living mulch but you have to keep an eye on them so they don't take over the world ! LOL