Pages

Monday 1 May 2023

Incredible Swinging Spring ?

I put this post together maybe a week ago ... it is the May 1st today and we are in full rain mode. I feel so sorry for the birds and pollinator insects in such cold miserable weather but we needed the rain. Now I have to be patient until Friday when it is supposed to be sunny and warm. The plants will have leapt forward a great deal, it is truly amazing what they can do !



I've worked (and I do mean WORKED) 4 days this past month so far in the gardens, but Garden PA has helped me a great deal and I appreciate that (I had to catch him before golf season really swings in !)
A few days that reached over 34 degrees Celsius .. why I didn't get a sunburn is beyond reason, maybe lucky ? .. However I do have gardener's hands, due to my gloves, ... they are WHITE compared to my arms. So our weather, the planets weather is unpredictable to what it should be each season and that is sad.

It is of course the hellebore that are the most eye catching since they cannot help but be so pretty. It is hard to see how long it is from these photos how long this bed is. A punctuation being one of my Japanese maples in the middle of the bed, along with a few different plants incorporated to break up the hellebore coverage. They are all season plants for me because the foliage is so tough and yet pretty after the flowers are done.




Dutchman's Breeches are the white and yellow cuties while the purple ones are Purple Bird corydalis.


Lemony Lace Elderberry just beginning to show itself.
Red Majestic Corkscrew Hazelnut is gorgeous with dark coloured leaves in a strong waved pattern. The leaves later turn dark green but wow with the branch contortions ! One of my favorites .
Of course the first post of the Spring season has to include our crazy kitties .. hard to believe they will be two years old at the end of July !


8 comments:

Nadezda said...

Dear Joy,
Red Majestic Corkscrew Hazelnut is my favorite as well. Your hellebore looks great! I see that some of your trees are still without leaves. Here more trees are with leaves, it is really spring.
Hugs!

Kris Peterson said...

Despite the heat spell, your garden is looking magnificent, CGJ! I love your pretty hellebores, especially as mine have barely made a showing this year despite our heavier-than-usual rainfall. The Dicentra is sweet too - and not something I'd ever see growing in my area. It's amazing that you've had warmer (hot!) temperatures than we've had in my area of coastal Southern California. We've had just a few warm days thus far, which is weird, as is the fact that we're getting a little rain in May. Our rainy season generally ends in late March/early April.

Jenn Jilks said...

There is such joy in gardens at this time of year!
thank you for sharing yours!

Alana said...

The spring is still swinging - we had hail mixed with sleet less than an hour ago. Your flowers look great. I need to see if the wildflower/plant nursery in Ithaca, New York I buy things from has this. Those early ephemerals are wonderful even though they only bloom for a couple of days or so.

Hoover Boo said...

Hellebores--they are wonderful also in my very different climate. Truly the best of the best plants of ornamental plants.

The "Dutchmans Breeches" flowers are so cute, and that Hazelnut foliage--lovely.

Happy May Gardening!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thank you all dear fellow gardeners for stopping by and commenting .. I want to visit you all when I get a chance .. I fear I have driven myself into OVERLOAD with plants to shoe horn into my gardens ... so much work to do I feel like hiding under my bed and not coming out until next winter ! LOL ... How could it be any different I wonder ... but now I am getting older and thinking what on earth WAS I THINKING when I bought more plants ? let alone digging to get them in and then all the other chores on top of that .... HUGE sigh !!!
Hope you are all doing better than I am !! LOL

RobinL said...

May weather has been all over the place down here, up, down, constantly changing. We even had some sleet on May 1,2! But we finally made it past our frost free date, and I have finished all my planting. Whew!

Snowbird said...

Just loving your kitties! Your garden has some amazing blooms and new growth, just adore those hellebores. Your heron is wonderful too. The climate has totally changed here too over the years, it is really sad!xxx