Pages

Monday 21 April 2014

Quick Note from Exhausted but Happy Gardener

No pictures ... sorry !
If I had stopped to take pictures it would have delayed the inevitable ... which was garden clean up.
Two days worth of wonderful weather and super husband who helped so much I don't know what I would have done without him : )
It always amazes me that the scent of so many plants is so fantastic from dead foliage .. it envelopes me, comforts me .. encourages me to keep going to get the garden in shape for the explosion of growth to come.
Thankfully my gardens are in good shape ... a little winter kill on some "twigs" of my Japanese maples, not so bad though.
I have a lot of pruning to do on my larger trained trees .. Royal Purple Smoke Bush ... and some aggressive vines ...Sweet Autumn ... even the Chocolate Vine has gotten to be a bit of a beast.
Sadly I have had to cut back a lot of my climbing roses because I didn't train them correctly .. they should be running in a horizontal zig zag .... oops !
A lot of switching around of plants is on the schedule .. digging in the heucheras again .. I hate that they heave but I love the plants.
The lavenders are good ... and I want more and more ... I am lavender crazy ... mix those with white roses and I am in heaven !
So .. no pictures .. couldn't stop ! .. Husband had brilliant idea in the last thralls of cleaning .. using leaf sucker-upper machine to clean out one of the beds and it WORKED without harming the plants !!
Saved me so much time and energy I could have cried .. well done hubby !!
Next post will have some pictures ... maybe after our rain day tomorrow things will green up a little more.
Rain barrel at the ready !  : )

6 comments:

Leslie's Garden said...

Joy, can't wait to see your garden come to life! Lucky you to have such an innovative husband! I was sick during my Spring Break, but hubby worked himself to death putting out some pea gravel for me. It made my garden look so beautiful! We have good ones!

Carrie said...

Sounds like you two are a super team! Great that you are getting so much achieved xxxx

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Yay! So much fun to get the garden cleaned up for Spring(-: I am enjoying each sunny day and seeing all the plants grow here. There are a lot of blooms around the garden! I love Spring! I just wish it would stay this way all Summer(-:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Leslie girl !
I saw that gorgeous gravel and WOW!! it makes your garden look so amazing. Funny how something so simple can make such an impact eh? good for your hubby doing that for you and I hope you are feeling much better now: )

Carrie girl I have so much more to do it is daunting but stiff upper lip and carry on right ? LOL

Cindee girl how are you and the little munchkin? Your Spring must be fantastic .. ours is begrudgingly coming but it is like torture .. one of the longest dragged out Springs I can remember .. and yes you just get used to it and then bang! Hot humid summer;-)

RobinL said...

Good on your Joy, but a word of caution. Take it easy! Don't do too much at once, it will wait, I promise. Just trying to protect your back! Ask me how I know....

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Robin girl thank you for stopping by and I appreciate the advice ... you are VERY right! ... I already have a bone graft fusion with screws in my lower back so yes .. I understand how tricky this can be !
We do love our gardens though eh ... especially after this winter !!