Pages

Saturday, 19 March 2016

How to sprout and .......

It is sunny here this morning ... and even though it is a bit chilly the birds are still on their non-stop "who is the best singer in the neighborhood" contest.
Don't get me wrong .. it is so nice to hear ... wish I could hear Spring Peepers even more so though !

OK .. so growing your own sprouts came up from my bone broth post, so I thought I would do a post on how darn easy it is.
I bought a three tray sprouter from Veseys quite a few years ago .. went nuts growing sprouts then took a break for a few years and now back at it.
This kit has been replaced by the company with a four tray one that is supposed to be easier but this older one works fine.

So ... I usually wet the bottom of each tray just to get a grabbing surface for the first lay out of seeds.
I sprinkle the seeds with a tablespoon so I can control how much goes in the tray.
I buy the seeds from Veseys because I know they are top quality organic.

I pour about two cups of tepid water through them twice a day and dump the run off from the collection tray ...
The top goes on to keep the humidity in.
The whole process takes 5 to 7 days to have them really sprout out.
When they are ready to "harvest" I store them with some paper towel in a zip lock bag in the fridge.
This is after three days.

So what else have I been doing to get into trouble ?
A day of errands to run and grocery shopping, meant I couldn't resist a couple of "plant like objects"?
These were Garden PA's pick ... I grew them many years ago in Nova Scotia and I think they stuck in his brain some how .. to me they are annuals because I don't really want to lift and store bulbs.
They are pretty ... but I have no idea where I am going to put them.
Costco is a very naughty store ... I swore I would stay away from "roots" because they take so long to become a nice big plant ... swearing did not stop me .. I was over come with plant lust, go figure?
I don't have these ... is that a good excuse ?
Even though they are older cultivars, they are pretty, and have their advantages, and ?? I don't discriminate against older versions, since I am becoming one myself ?
Look at that picture in the circle, how can you not want THAT !!
Another of Garden PA's "I need that" .. was he talking about me or himself ?
The line was " our last twirly thing did NOT twirl .. it stood there ... and did next to nothing"
Which I was fine with, but he was not, so here we go again ?
OK ... I did sneak something in from Mark's ... a shorter version of my leopard boots, in hounds tooth this time.
So ... that is what I have been up to ... waiting for the weather to warm up ... waiting for the garden to be less squishy ... just plain waiting still !
The plants .. Acidanthera aka Peacock Orchids
Clematis       Bees Jubilee
                     Jackmanii
I have made another on line order ... this time to Hortico ... just an inquiry for now but I will post on it later when it is a done deal ... just a small one .. to fill in some gaps I think I have ?

20 comments:

Lisa Greenbow said...

Your sprouts look yummy. I have never tried growing them even tho I order them when a restaurant offers them. So simply yet I am so lazy. ;) I have been doing clean up in the garden this past week. The weather was gorgeous until now. Now we are back in the deep freeze. I just hope it doesn't last more than a night or two so everything that is blooming won't die right here before Easter. Easter is early this year. My family comes here for a feast. I would like to have a few blooming plants when they arrive. Unfortunately I am afraid the cold will squash all my blooms. I am with you about the clematis. Even if you purchase some new hybrid they might not do as well as the old guys. My Jackmannii is old. I have divided it many times and moved it around, it keeps on blooming. Love your new boots. I would like some new clogs to clump around in the garden. Maybe that is what I should be purchasing instead of new pots etc. ;)

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for doing this post!!! I am all excited and can't wait to try it. Your instructions are great! Do you need to put the sprouting tray in the sun? I don't have a lot of sunny spots in this house (sadly).
I love peacock orchids and plant them every year. They don't take up much room and are very like glads in the area required. I find you need to plant them in numbers however to have any impact. Two packages should be great.
Love the new boots! Thanks again for the sprouting notes. I must visit Vessey's website tomorrow and order me a sprouting tray!

RobinL said...

Your boots are very jaunty! Will you dirty them in the garden, or actually use them as rain boots?

Ms. S said...

Well those little boots are so cheerful, how can spring resist? :)
I have a few little snowdrops raising their heads, but that's about it so far. Off to Victoria, and when I return I am expecting those crocuses to be on the job in full regalia.
Enjoy this thrilling time of transition!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Lisa girl ... how can you be lazy ? you are out there doing garden clean up and I am SO not yet .. but it is still cold here .. -9 this morning, not prime conditions yet !
I trust my own sprouts more than an eatery's , haha .. and it isn't hard to do at all : )
Funny enough I have the newer version of Jackmanii but I don't mind having the older one at all .. they can have their own competition? haha
Eater Sunday is when my son's birthday is this year .. I feel ancient .. BIG sigh !
It is early or so it seems because so many years it fell in April .. you need new clogs girl!
I do use my tall boots for the first few clean ups though ..better safe than sorry with me!

Glad you find this post helpful Jennifer girl : ) Yes .. they need light but artificial light will work too. I have them on the stove top with the light bulb there and they are fine.
Yes they seem to put them in the glads category .. I grew them nay years ago .. this one is for Garden PA .. haha .. just have to find the right spot !
Yes go get the sprouting kit and try it out girl !!

Hello Robin girl .. these really are for the garden ..so they will see some action : )

Ms S girl hello there : ) and thank you ! You are so lucky to get one heck of a dose of Spring in Victoria .. and I am sure your garden will be smiling at you when you come back!
Transition ROLL ON !! haha

Rose said...

I have never tried growing sprouts before--this looks really easy! How long do they last in the fridge? I stopped eating them a few years ago when a local grower had sanitation issues and all their sprouts--shipped all over the country--caused people to get sick. If I grew them myself, I wouldn't have to worry, would I?! It's hard to resist buying something if you are in a garden center this time of year. I think you've shown remarkable restraint, Joy:)

Patsi said...

You have lots of goodies. I'm the same way...don't dig up bulbs. Loving the boots. Nice to see you're psyched for spring !

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Rose girl : )
Growing sprouts is easy with this kit .. they last about a week in the fridge .. put a paper towel in with them to control the moisture level and change it if it becomes too wet !
Thank you girl about the restraint comment but I have been heavy handed with orders on line ! LOL OOPS !!

Patsi girl I left you some comments about the roses ..hope it helped ? .. I have to cut back my climbing ones yet again because I didn't wrap them and our weather was too cruel to them this winter as per usual .. BIG sigh ! I am trying to get enthusiastic about garden clean up as soon as the weather gets that way too ? haha

Carrie said...

Oh, the sprout thingy is fab and love how 'plant lust' has gotten hold on you - you've picked some great varieties (I don't mind an older cultivar!)
Hugs and may your twirly ornament twirl majestically xxx

CiNdEe said...

The sprouts look fun to grow(-: I have never done that before.
Love the root plants too. I keep saying the same thing. Always do again.(-:
Sometimes they don't grow well and die other times they live and grow and don't bloom. Or it may take years to get a pretty flower. LOL Oh well(-:
Love the spinner(-: I hate when things don't work too. I have a whirly thing that does not spin. I don't know why. I keep oiling it and all that. Nope it just sits there and defies me in the wind.
The shoes are super cute!
Have a Happy Easter. Hope the Rabbit brings you something yummy(-:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Carrie girl !
Thank you so much and I so hope you get some sunshine soon too! .. we all fall for plants this time of year .. thelust just takes over eh ? LOL Happy Easter weekend : )

Cindee girl ... we are lucky not to have lost power .. so many people have with this latest storm ... still just a dream for Spring coming .. longest let down yet I swear.
Fingers crossed for roots and spinner .. did a quick try out of the garden shoes and they are great : ) Happy Easter weekend too and boy would I love some chocolate !!!! LOL

Casa Mariposa said...

I grew peacock orchids once and they were beautiful! They need to be really well drained. I think they're native to the Mediterranean. Do your sprouts taste like beansprouts? Love those fabulous boots!!

Patsi said...

Thank you .Thank you. I'm so dense sometimes. I had to bing images to see what you were talking about.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Tammy girl I think we all try the "strange and unusual" at least once right ? LOL
I'll make sure they get good drainage ... where ever the heck I can find a place for them.
The sprouts are great .. ice and crunchy ... too easy to make too ! Yup my boots are fab .. I think I look at my fet too much and keep bumping into things ? hahaha

Patsi girl you are more than welcome , hey I have to really concentrate on fertilizing mine and heaven forgive me but cut back my poor climbing roses yet again because I didn't get them covered for our horrible nasty late winter, shame on me ! .. this year I will be better !!

Nadezda said...

I love these clematis as well and held them in Garden center thinking to buy or not to buy and didn't. Today I am upset and think I'll go soon and buy them, especially this one with red strips.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Nadezda girl ... we have all "been there and done that !" ... I can' count the number of times I have been in the "can't decide what to do zone" and missed out on some great plants.
So I totally understand what you went through ;-) .. now go buy them ! LOL

Barbarapc said...

I'm unofficially not permitted to travel down Costco's bulb lane. Soooooo tempting though. Although, I didn't realize that they had acidanthera, so I may have to change that rule. They are so pretty, they look good in pots, they have a beautiful scent and they are unusual. And, if Kevin's not with me, how's he gonna know I managed to score some? Keep your stick on the ice!
Barbarapc

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Barb girl .. I usually try to avoid that area too but I broke down .. a bit .. the acidanthera were in NO Frills believe it or not, so I grabbed them.
You go girl ... grab while you can ... life is short .... my skates are one still ! LOL

Angie said...

Oh Joy how cool are your feet going to look in those houndstooth bootees. I have been thinking about a Clematis jackmanii for my own garden. It may be an older variety but it is a stunner when it gets its roots down. I look forward to seeing how it does with you.
Spring has sprung here and I hope the weather is kind to you this April Joy.
I should add that I thought your post was about Brussel Sprouts not those kind of sprouts.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks Angie girl : )
Yes I have thought of jackmanii for a few years and thought I should just DO IT ! haha
You will be able to see how it does for me but remember ... this is a "root" planting so I expect it will take about 3 years before it will be in it's glory.
The weather here is anything but kind ... I am so sick of seeing snow and seeing winter storm warnings I could scream and you would hear me all the way there Ia m sure !
You are too funny girl .. brussel sprouts ! haha