Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

Shadow Shot Time !

I have been away from this meme and my fellow shadow shooters due to my garden yelling for attention ..
It wants something of my every day and not just one thing ! hundreds of tasks!
I need to connect with my shadow world and shooters so this is a quick stop to do just that : )


Yes .. I am stretching it to find shadows from this tiny creature but you can see its legs and wings do cast some shadows on son's shirt.
This is a Black Swallowtail butterfly .. so totally special to me since I kept it as a caterpillar from last Autumn, watching it form its cocoon, and keeping it safe in a glass jar in our fridge all winter.
It was only a couple of weeks ago that I took it out to enjoy the warm weather .. it seemed to take a long time and I was almost ready to give up ... but Number One Son happened to be in the right place at the right time and alerted us to the tiny miracle that was happening ..
We were absolutely glued to it ... watching it dry its wings .. soaking in the sun for strength .. and then after a while, it flew off right to my lilac tree !
I had never seen this event happen before and I was totally blown away .. it was amazing ..
Life is amazing ... isn't it ?

12 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful butterfly, and all the more special because you helped it into this world. I can see the shadows beautifully, even in your header photo I can see shadows. The garden is demanding lots of our time isn't it, but it is so worth it, when we sit and admire the beauty.

Marleen said...

Amazing colors, great shadow.

Sylvia K said...

That is so fantastic!! How wonderful to be able to see that -- so up close and personal! It has such gorgeous colors! Thanks so much for sharing this! Not an everyday sight to be sure! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Kelly said...

Oh, I don't think you're stretching it at all... there are fine shadows in that photo!

I remember my children's Sunday School class taking on a butterfly project one year and it's truly a miraculous transformation!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

awwwww....what a great picture & story :) Enjoy your weekend!

Ralph said...

This is absolutely wonderful - with the brilliant hues on this lovely butterfly, the amount of shadow is perfect - just enough to accentuate this shapely beauty. If you missed a bit of SSS2, it is no matter - bring in your garden to capture this, your garden thus is an inspiration. Nice!

Gemma Wiseman said...

What a magnificent wonder to witness! How lucky are you! And the butterfly's wings cast a sharp, artistic shadow shape! Adore the wing patterns and colours!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Gorgeous butterfly!

Shadow Shots I have, come and see.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Linda girl : )
It is rare that I sit and admire because every time I do I see something else I can putter with in it !
I was so worried that my cocoon had failed .. when Ian said come quickly I was so excited my heart was thumping ! Such a beautiful creature to have made it through all winter in my fridge is almost impossible for me to believe : )

Thank you so much Marleen !

Hello Sylvia girl : )
This was a small miracle that I almost gave up on .. I am still in shock that it truly did work for me .. I have to try again if I get the right caterpillar !!

Kelly .. there is nothing like seeing this happen when you had it in your fridge all winter .. we were all glued to watching this beautiful creature truly make it into this world .. every child should see this happen : )

Hey there you girls !! Thanks very much .. I am so happy to have a happy story to this : )

Dear Ralph : ) You are so sweet ... thank you ! .. I wish everyone could have such an up close experience like this .. I think kids might just respect nature and love it a little bit more if they saw this ?

Gemma I was so worried this would not work .. when my son said come see this ! I had no idea it truly happened finally .. it is such a special thing to witness .. I wish everyone could : )

Thank you Rose ! It is a beauty isn't it ?

RURAL said...

It does make you feel like you are witness to a small miracle doesn't it?

How wonderful that you were able to see it happen.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Jen girl it gave me goose bumps it was so special .. I will never forget it ! : )

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

How in the world did you get the butterfly to stay still long enough to snap a photo? It never works that way for me!

Hear My Voice