Pages

Friday 21 December 2012

Winter Solstice and Whoopie !

Well ... so far so good... we are still here even if the weather is UGLY ... wet snow and I have hear ER sirens indicating yet once again at the beginning of the Winter Solstice.
Canadians who should know how to drive in these conditions have the big "DUH?" going on.
But never mind that .. this is the shortest day of the year (as the Farmer's Almanac tells me) and all the world is holding it's collective breath as to "will this be IT ?" and the Mayans laughing their collective (blink for naughty word coming) ASSES OFF at us from where ever they have retreated (they were also a VERY blood thirsty group if you have never heard of their human sacrifices) .. just sayin' ..
NOT very nice people!

OK .. now that I have that off my chest ..
  "SUN DOG" .... it is "Sky for Friday" type of post

Do you see what I mean (if you have read the link) ... the real sun is to the right, in the trees, and the tag along for fun sun is to the left .. I have seen another one a few years back and had no idea what the heck it was .. pretty darn interesting if you are a bit of a sky freak.
This one happened December 13th ... one more look ?
This one was unique in the way it reflected more colour (yes Canadians spell colour with a "u" )
In any case .. today is a gray day with wet (yes there is a difference with WET heavy and dry light) snow falling but I thought this picture would be more appealing to see.
Plus the fact that now with the shortest day of the year almost under our belts .. we can get on with the light staying longer (for me ? I so NEED the mornings to get lighter .. that is my best time of the day) ..
Gardeners can sneak plan (without driving non-gardeners crazy ?) .. and yes I know I started out yesterday bold as brass with the beginning of my lust list .. can't help myself !
So that was the "WHOOPPIE" part of this post ... the light will be coming back .. slowly but surely : )

9 comments:

Karen said...

I love sundogs. Terrific captures Joy! Happy Winter Solstice. I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Jennifer said...

Hi Joy, I have never seen a Sun Dog before. How interesting! It is a reflection of some kind or perhaps it is actually the moon?
At 6:11 am this morning, when the world was to end according to the Aztec calendar, my husband drew me to him for a hug. "I know how I want to spend my last moment on earth." he whispered. What a sweet heart, eh?
Happy holidays Joy! All the best for a healthy and happy 2013!

Country Gal said...

Awesome post and fantastic photos . Such pretty Colours yup I spell it this way to . Oh I know eh ? You would think Canadians would know how to drive when it snows but there again there really aren't as many Canadians here any more if ya get my drift ! Yup rain snow ice mix for us here today YUK ! They say we are to get snow this evening through the night into tomorrow and maybe through till Monday . WOOHOO ! Hope it stays I need my winter photos and Miggs and I want to build a snow man . Have a good day !

Nadezda said...

Joy, I want the day stay longer! I hate dark mornings and early evening darkness.
I'm glad that some seconds add every day light from now.

Christine said...

Happy Day After the Solstice and The World is Still Here!, Joy. My world is too and I am so looking forward to morning light just a bit earlier each day.
Merry Christmas to you!

Carrie said...

all in good time my darlin'. the world is moving just as it ought and the days are slowly getting longer and hopefully brighter.
wishing you a happy julefest and a shiny happy 2013 xxxxx

(colour with a u is the only way!)

Rose said...

I've never heard of a sun dog before--how interesting! The best part about the winter solstice is that the days are finally getting longer!

Marguerite said...

Hubby keeps telling me 'why are we paying any attention to the Mayans? don't people know that tribe went extinct!' I'm just glad we're headed back into daylight now. I've been missing the sun desperately this last month.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Definitely a Whoopee! from me. I love that the days will grow longer now. It will be slow but that's okay. We know that spring won't be too far off and we need that hope.

Your sky shots are so interesting. I didn't realize until you pointed it out that the bright spot wasn't actually the sun but some kind of reflection. It's fascinating.

I have read that the Mayans were pretty brutal with their religious beliefs. Human sacrifice is pretty dang brutal.

I saw your cat photo on the sidebar and clicked on your Pinterest icon. I'm now "following" you. Don't you love Pinterest?

The first photo on the left on your banner looks like it belongs in a magazine. They're all gorgeous but that one is stellar.

Have a great rest of your day sweetie.