Pages

Friday 17 May 2019

Hunting the Pink Flowered Dogwood

Well .. I was wide awake at 4:30 AM this morning ... the Robinator must have known because he began his song EXACTLY when I knew I wasn't going to get back to sleep again.
So what do you do at that time of the morning ?
I am SO grateful that sunrise doesn't take all that long this time of year .. so after a bit of early morning tea/toast ... I sound like an old lady .. hey ... I'm NOT ! *SMIRK*
I went out and took some pictures of the back garden .. in the "after the rain" condition it has been in for days on end.
There is something to be said about that early morning glow in the garden, I wish it could apply to me?
The shadier side of things .. but thankfully plants are emerging, in their own time of course.
There is the added soap opera of birds competing for mates and "The Game of Thrones"
Who has the bigger and better throne to lure that queen in ?
Speaking of GOT .. my friend Barry of Teza's Hortus Magnificum blog has an amazing wool business called Knitting Wolf Luxury Yarns .. hand dyed wool in stunning colours which some  are dedicated to GOT in fact .. my favorite is "Cersei" which has sold out for the moment .. but what a spectacular range of colours there are .. if you are a knitter looking for unusual, hand dyed wool, you have to have a look at his work and his site .. you won't be sorry to have a peek at least !
Autumn Brilliance serviceberry trying to shake the wet from it's blooms against that gorgeous if only momentary blue sky .. you have to catch THAT while you can.
The light hadn't reached my gold bleeding heart but it still had a glow about it.
However , one of my spirea had THE GLOW with raindrops included.

Now for all about the mystery Dogwood tree (Kousa was the only name on the Home Depot tag)
I have driven myself MAD looking at picture after picture and I still have no idea which cultivar this is .. funny enough ? I thought I was buying a white one because of course they were not in flower at time of purchase.
Can anyone help me ?



I know the flowers aren't quite mature yet .. but if anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate your input !

9 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Looking good there(-: No idea on the dogwood. I have a white one. I don't know it's name either because someone gave me a start of their ancient one.
I never know what to do when I wake up like that. I try to go back to sleep, but why bother. Not as hard in the summer months because its light here earlier but in the winter, ugh)-:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love that time in the morning when the light is not harsh and the birds are singing. I have no idea what kind of dogwood that might be. Good luck on your search.

Margaret said...

Those are gorgeous blooms on the dogwood! Wish I could be of help, but I have NO idea - hopefully you find out what it is 'cause I may just want one!

I took a peak at the Knitting Wolf site - gorgeous! Will have pick up a skein or two...once my wallet fills up again after my plant purchase binge :)

Jason said...

I have no idea what cultivar you have, but I wonder if it is actually a hybrid of C. kousa and something else.

Nadezda said...

I love your spiraea Joy, spring goes and summer is over the corner.
Your new plant is unknown to me too, sorry I can't help you.
Your garden is so tidy!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Cindee girl .. that is wonderful to have a "baby" tree from such a mature one .. keeping the line going ! .. I wanted a white dogwood but when I got this one, no flowers were out .. I was so surprised to see pink and of course no cultivar name to make it a bit more .. hum ? interesting ? but frustrating ! .. Yup, the early morning light does help when you have to cope with waking up so darn early ! LOL

Lisa .. that morning light and the quiet are my magic time .. I love it even though it can be exhausting .. the quest about this tree is going to be a difficult pill to swallow .. I really need to know what it is or it will drive me a bit nuts .. but those are the gambles we take when we get something that isn't classified completely .. argh !

Hello Margaret girl ! .. I have run myself ragged through the net trying to pin point what this is and no luck so far .. I am still judging it on rather immature flowers yet .. I think I have to get them through to mature size to have a better idea but this weather is not helping !
Hey that is great you had a peek at my friend's site .. those colours are amazing right ? .. I get you totally about the plant budget taking up precedence .. me too! LOL

Jason that is the track I have been on with the mix for this little tree .. I have scanned too much information that it is making me more confused than ever .. but eventually I have to come up with something about it right ? ... eventually ? ... right ????? LOL

Hello Nadezda girl : ) Spireas are such common little shrubs but I so LOVE them .. their colours are gorgeous in the Spring .. and yes, we don't really have Spring any more .. it drives itself right into summer immediately which is sad .. I miss Spring !
My goodness .. thank you about the tidy comment .. but it can be such a handful at times ! LOL

RobinL said...

I already told you that my Kousa dogwood is Heart Throb, and its flowers are white-ish. They usually have some pink to them, so perhaps blossom color is not set in stone. That bleeding heart just glows! I thought it was going to pop off the page.

Dawn said...

I have this one in Peterborough. Planted last year. Cornish Florida rubes.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hey there Dawn ... this did not work out for me at all .. I was so disappointed ... but I have another Japanese maple in its place so at least I have that? LOL