Pages

Wednesday 8 April 2020

The "Pink" Moon Event

The full "Pink" moon was supposed to happen on the 7th .. Tuesday.
I took shots on the 5th and 6th
I am familiar with our tricky weather and grabbed the moon shots on the nights I saw as near perfect as it would ever get.
I started out with a very pale early evening sky which is difficult to hold contrast against a celestial subject, aka the MOON, for which I have been obsessed with since I was a kid (many moons ago?).

I call this a ghost moon .. it is almost transparent/translucent? in some of my photos.
It is difficult to focus on such a pale subject from a distance .
I blurred the outer corners to maximize the sharpness of the moon as much as possible.
You  have to have patience to wait for the different stages of the light values in the sky, to be able to focus as much detail to the moon as possible.
So ... the progression is what I saw during the course of time.

Now .. for the pink value ... it truly was there !
I was skeptical .. and but for the fact that my camera could not translate what my eyes saw .. my eyes DID see a very pale "fog" of pink.
It just so quickly was there one moment, and gone the next.
I am using a very pale pink filter to show how it appeared to me.
This is as natural and realistic as I could manage .. but wow ! it truly happened and I was shocked.
You know how you read about something like this and take it with a grain of salt ? .. well my salt was shaken out of the bottle ;-)
Then it was just a lovely light fog that covered the moon .. graceful and beautiful.



The change of dark blue/navy to black in the sky is the factor of distancing .. I am guessing.
The closer you are to the moon during "night" vision the blacker the contrast .. the further away .. if there is enough light left in the sky .. it appears navy blue.
Then eventually .. the moon is just too bright and glows without revealing sharp detail.

In a few more days .. Ihope to actually do some GARDEN posts after all of this moon obsession !

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Some really great photos Joy. I don't know how you do it. Looking forward to those garden updates.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jen .. thanks ! ;-)

Lisa thank you so much ;-) .. I had a rough time with this camera for quite a while .. then I reset it to factory settings and was able to find the right mode to capture the moon a little better .. we actually had a bit of snow today .. go figure ? LOL

Jason said...

Beautiful shots. And a good reminder to head outside in the evening and get a glimpse of the moon. Although somehow I don't think ours ever looks that big.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jason and thanks ! :-) .. size is relative ? LOL ... next full moon is May 7th so maybe you might get a glimpse of it then ?

Snowbird said...

Oh WOW! what fabulous photos! It was overcast here so I missed it. Lovely seeing your pictures.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks very much Snowbird ! .. it was amazing to watch the transition and actually see that delicate pink happen as described. I knew the actual night would be tricky because the sky would be cloudy, so catching it the night before was perfect !