Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2020

Ode to Allium

Yes ... I know most of you are so done with Spring bulbs .. so you don't have to read, or look any further if you have become saturated with said flowers.
However I am still in "Spring Magic" mode and can't help myself.
I need distraction from world events, so I am depending on my garden to have positive thoughts about ANYTHING now a days.

My plan  is to take over the world with ALLIUM !
In particular .. I have a thing for "Purple Sensation" .. it is the perfect size and colour .
All I have to remember (beyond where I plant new ones each Fall) is to try and have perennials in front of them to try and hide the foliage as it dies back.

So on with the parade of pictures ... it was a cloudy day for the most part, but it seems to enhance the colour I think .. we all know what it is like trying to take pictures in bright sunlight right ?
My Chinese Fringe tree is the middle, anchor plant .. it was like a stick when I first got it.

I just transplanted Lemony Lace elderberry so it is looking a bit weepy there.
The Honeysuckle refuses to grow in a uniform manner .. we will have to have a chat !
I have my ground cover edging back (I thought I lost my "ears"last Spring)  with the Lamb's Ears and a mix of sedums .. but I have a non productive peony (plant by the fence)
Flame has not produced flowers now for two years .. has anyone run into this problem ?
I am thinking of removing it, but I want to give it a chance still, any suggestions appreciated !
In the shade that purple is remarkable .. I am totally taken in by this flower !
So .. what about some fun now ?
Flamingos have become the rage this year .. I did not buy these.
My neighbor was so sweet, and thought I would get a laugh out of them.
I received "the twins" at Christmas from her ... which gave me a lot of time, to .. get .. used to them?
AND .... I do have a laugh every time I look at them .. they it work !
Spectacular ORANGE in all of it's glory ! .. yes it clashes .. but hey you have to go against the grain some times .. and ? it reminds me of Halloween with that in your face ORANGE !
Special light in the morning shots
I'm not sure which hosta this is .. but in that light, it hardly matters ... it is gorgeous !

Long shots for the end of May
The plants are in flux .. some are powering up for flowers early summer.
In the mean time I have enjoyed the allium so much that of course I have more coming for the Fall planting.
Also more daffodils, because those cheery bright yellow clumps really made us smile after such a long winter and with this uneasy feeling for the rest of the year ? .. we need that connection of simple happiness.
Gardening is a  lot of work at times .. but the benefits out weigh the moans and groans.
It is such a short intense season for us here .. you have to ride the wave as long as possible, then collapse when it is all said and done ... and winter makes us rest ?

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I never tire of seeing alliums. They are so cheerful and colorful. They bring drama all sewn up in a purple sphere. I planted some of the starry ones last fall. They are in too much shade. I will have to move them so I can enjoy them...if they survive.
Your garden is looking so lush. Isn't it a wonderful time of year in the garden?!
Unfortunately it is going from heavenly to hell here. Upper 80's and 90F degrees. Where did spring go?? I wanted it to stay much longer. I miss it already.
Your flamingos are fun. Did I tell you I have a Peacock that my daughter gave me? It is in the garden of course. I hope it doesn't multiply. ;)

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

I love the alliums Joy, and have several clumps of drumstick allium in the garden. The orange is spectacular and only Nature can wear conflicting/contrasting colours so well. Keep enjoying the garden.

Snowbird said...

Oh, I love purple sensation too but it never performs for me, even in pots, sadly, so it's lovely to admire yours. What beautiful photos, especially of the hosta. Your Chinese fringe is such an interesting tree. Honeysuckle runs wild here and almost brings the fence down. Some of my peonies have taken years to flower and then only produce a few blooms. You have me smiling with the flamingos, glad you have got used to them, daughter bought me a brightly coloured peacock which took a little adapting too.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Lisa ..and thank you !
I keep them as long as I can even when they lose that dramatic purple .. their shape is beautiful to me. I'm afraid I am running all the time when plants surge forward and yes we lost what ever Spring we had ? Yes ! I laughed over that peacock story .. too funny but sometimes they grow on us as the plants GROW on them ? LOL

Linda .. I am sorry I haven't been a regular over at your place .. time seems to slip away from me so fast , especially when i am in semi panic mode wit the garden surging forward and so many things to get under control. Yes conflicting colours for sure ! I have had that azalea for almost 20 years and i don't have the heart to yank it out and place a cool colour plant there .. I am waiting out it's life span(so far) but I think it will outlive me ? LOL

Snowbird you have me wondering why on earth the allium doesn't work for you .. now that is a mystery since it is such an easy plant .. Thank you so much for the compliments ;-)
I am waiting for the "fringe" to turn white and look so delicate and beautiful .. I love it
The odd thing about Blaze is that it bloomed successfully for years and then quit on me, I don't understand it ..You are my second guest gardener that has a peacock .. read Lisa's comment ! LOL Yes .. we gardeners are adaptable people right ? LOL

A Casa Madeira said...

Maravilha de jardim!
Adorei as fotos.
janicce.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thank you so much Janice ! .. I enjoyed your ode to roses and apples very much .. I will always think of them as a pairing now :-)

Jason said...

Alliums are great - they look like big purple lollipops, among other things, and the bees love them.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

That is it Jason ! BIG purple lollipops !! LOL
I just get such a kick out of seeing them every year in the garden my mission of lining the long fence with them is still ongoing but determined ! .. and yes ! bees LOVE them ;-)