Pages

Saturday 13 June 2020

Questions ?, and the art of layering and living mulch.

I dislike overwhelming readers with too much information and too many pictures,  but this post is going to run that risk.
I will be as "to the point" as possible though !
First question .. I have two thalictrum, aka Meadow Rue, growing side by side, yet through the years I have lost their particular "ID" other than general labeling .
To the left is what I think is thalictrum robebrunianum  or Splendide.. with the fine text leaf composition, like a Maiden Hair fern .. it gets VERY tall ... most years extending over the height of the 8'foot fence.
The one to the right is shorter, stockier, with a larger leaf composition.
It has the same airy lavender flowers , and grows to about 4 to 5 feet tall, .. but it's foliage composition is not that fine cut leaf as the other one .. I can not for the life of me find out what this heavier set thalictrum is, so if anyone out there knows ? please let me know too !
Next question is about epimedium foliage going very  pale .. it is Purple Pixie
I have tried researching the problem, and I can't find any information .. I have thought of water needs, soil enhancement .. I can't put my finger on it .. I have others of this type and they are fine.
I have lots of epimendium in general, and this one in the picture is the only one doing it.
Any suggestions ? it is in the left top, of this bottom picture, you can see how pale the foliage is ?
I thought of moving it to a drier location .. maybe too much moisture ?
Speaking of pale, but in a good way .. my Chinese Fringe tree (chionanthus retusus) has been beautiful, shimmering in the half shadows of the morning.
The "fringe" of delicate white flowers also has a very light scent.
Now for layering and hiding the leaves of  Purple Sensation allium and daffodils as they die back.
I have to admit they un-nerve me with the ghastly yellowing leaves.
I'm addicted to having the garden look well ordered ?
I avoid saying OCD ? LOL
Layering plants in front or beside the allium helps a good deal.
Lamium and day lilies hide a lot of the leaves here so that they are practically indistinguishable.
Peony, large hosta on the side .. Autumn anemone  lamb's ears and mixed sedum with a few echinacea thrown in for good balance .. manage the front .
Some of the allium "balls" I keep until they just can't stand up any more, because I just love the look.
I have a thing for layering plants, with an occasional POP of colour .
The combination of the violets, dianthus, geraniums, and campanula, may seem a bit over the top but it is so satisfying to see them thrive .. throw in the odd lemon thyme and the mix is crazy.
I thought I lost my Lamb's Ear last year and that really gutted me .. it is one plant in my garden that my son really liked because of course the texture is so unusual.
I was so glad to see the roots survived the last sudden frost we had last year as well as this year.
Lesson learned , do NOT cut back LE until I am sure the weather is truly warm enough !
I call this a sweeping mixture, against the flagstone .. Lady's Mantle, LE, Lamium, sedum, Gold Creeping Jenny , Bugle Weed ... different thyme .. I adjust them according to sun exposure.
The dwarf burning bushes were supposed to cover most of my laundry room window, but rabbits decided they just tasted too good during the winter .. so now they are stubby and fat .. maybe the rabbits are too ? LOL
Again .. layering goes on even in this shadowy place .. the oregano has been there for ages yet it still flowers like mad with tiny white jewels, even though it doesn't get a lot of sun.
The campanula (what ever this type is?) .. behaves like a weed, so I crack the whip at times.
Lady's Mantle seems to crop up everywhere but I love it all the same.
Amber Jubilee ninebark with an assortment of some evergreen shrubs (almost the same leaf composition as Boxwood , on either side.
Creeping Gold Jenny and lots of Black Eyed Susans for late summer.
I went a bit mad for Berry Bladder fern ... the idea was to cover trillium as they die back, in one of the shade areas .. I have way too many ferns now but I can't seem to rid myself of any except the Ostrich ones that become WEEDS as a friend of mine found out when I sent her some ?
She wanted to fill in some bare spots with lush greenery ... well, they got FILLED IN .. LOL
Hope for gardeners that transplant certain plants, way too many times .. this Shadowland Waterslide hosta has been moving so much it should have air miles.

OK .. now just to sum everything up in the back gardens .. a few pictures from different angles.
I doubt I will do another post for some time .. the garden needs a lot of love right now so that will occupy most of my time .. pictures always run far behind when it comes to that.







6 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't worry about overwhelming readers! I post for me, first, as a record, and for hubby, who likes to see his critters in my videos. My kids read, too.
Beyond that, people are quite able to skim, as they wish.

Your garden is lovely and ordered. I'm sure that gives you comfort.
Mine is a bit of helter skelter, which is just the way I roll. I'm loving my weed flowers. The milkweed, in my front patch, just makes me feel good. I know the monarchs are arriving soon!

You have such knowledge of your plants. Lovely greens. We need this right now.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Jen ! Thank you ;-)
You are right ... I do this as an online diary too!(have photos saved on this platform)
I think that is great your hubby likes to see his critters on your blog ;-)
I hate having to be that "ordered" type of personality .. sometimes ? I can let it do it's own thing but mostly I have a hand in it ? haha
I have milkweed too because I totally love seeing the butterflies and bees .. I can't wait for my hydrangea tree to bloom because it was amazing to see such traffic on it last year.
Right now it is a sea of green (as Garden PA calls it) that in-between time when we are waiting for summer flowers to appear .. it is all good though (besides the aphids ? LOL)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think you have layering up to an art. Your garden looks gorgeous. I don't know about your plants in question. I think that odd epimedium is just one of those plants that isn't right. Sometimes you can get one that just has something not so good about it. Love seeing your garden it is so full of textures and blooms.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Lisa girl ;-) Thank you !
I am obsessed at times with layering ! LOL .. could be yet another OCD trait I have to keep control of ? haha
Yup .. I know what you mean about getting an odd plant that won't behave .. but this is like a "ghost" of a plant ! haha
I have to say .. just for the moment .. before the exhausting heat and humidity gets to it, the garden is alive and breathing quite well ? haha Thanks in any case !!

Jason said...

I also struggle with the dying foliage of Alliums and Narcissi. You seem to have come up with some beautiful solutions for the problem.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks Jason ;-)
It is the price we pay Jason for the thrill of those Spring blooms .. but I will pay it because this year , seeing those brilliant yellow flowers was so heartening .. like I had never looked at a daffodil before and now I am totally addicted to them along with the allium.
I do enjoy the layering mission a great deal ! LOL