Pages

Monday 24 August 2020

How the sun shines, or not, on your garden ?

 


I was so amazed with the misty clouds that covered the sun that morning and I literally ran to get my camera to capture it .. an honorable mention to Sophie my cat, for getting out of the way quickly enough, to save both of our dignities ? LOL
You start to notice the smaller things when the garden becomes quiet. 
I have had this ornamental grass for years .. but I have divided it, transplanted it, and admired it more than ever now. 
 The water is like a magnifying glass and enlarges the grass head "beads" themselves.
I love the twilight evening sun highlighting plants in the garden .. the sound of the crickets and the stillness of the air makes it feel magical to me (trying not to sound over dramatic, but really .. it does)
Changes are happening in the garden on cue for the season beginning towards the ending.
Hydrangea are shifting their colours .. other plants are trending through their natural cycles.
The shear "fear" factor of how much I have to do, to get everything in it's right place, before the ground freezes .. rewind last year's "OMG"
I have a more refined respect of not counting on the weather like I had for many a year before .. the ground freezing so much sooner and my bulbs not getting in fast enough .. well, I don't want to go through that again !
I wonder if some cute plants aka this fern, will make it through the winter because I didn't have a plant tag with it .. so it is a gamble. If anyone recognizes this fern please let me know if it can survive zone 5b ?
I have jam packed as many plants as possible last year, only to switch tactics this year and want a half moon accessory path towards the inside of the garden .. this is going to take some "go with your instincts" action and just bite the bullet to downsize some plants.
I have already sacrificed some lavenders that were under performing .. now I guide my scaling down by way of said under performing plants .. which include some amazing foliage hydrangea that NEVER flowered in over 5 years .. I think it is time to call it quits with them and move on !
I couldn't help the above picture, it just struck me as so pretty ... the skeletons of "Stand by Me"bush clematis. The seed heads are intriguing aren't they ? 
Further up from it is "Twinkle" in the same condition. 
I am tempted to call them the little ghosts in the garden.
I've been waiting for the Monarchs to visit Pink Diamond hydrangea like they did last year.
So far I have lots of other insect pollinators but no Monarchs .. that worries me, makes me a little sad
For now I will have to enjoy my cement frog (people who know me , know I have a thing for frogs and frog song) and the evolving garden to Autumn.  
Every living creature, and plant, have an after glow when the sprinklers have left their shower.
They go off at 5:30 in the morning, so the water dries during the day, as to not cause powdery mildew problems, plus it is within the water "law" limitations .. we try to do the right thing !
So I don't have bright sunshine in most shots, you see the plants without the bright lighting or make-up?

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the stroll through your garden. It is that time of year that we specially pay attention to the changing light. I don't think it is dramatic it is a wonderful place to be, in our gardens.
Just this weekend my DB helped me dig out some 20+ year old hydrangeas that aren't blooming anymore. I hate to see them go. They do live in a very difficult situation, under a huge maple tree. But I want something different now. I probably still won't have blooms for some time but at least I hope to now.
Love that hazy looking sun. It screams summer and a return to heat by days end.

Lis said...

Your fern might be one of the Japanese Painted Ferns, Athyrium japonicum varieties. They are quite hardy in my zone 4 garden so you shouldn't have any problems. Your garden looks wonderful, I'm just the teeeeeeeenist bit envious!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi there Lisa and thank you so much !
The sun was amazing that morning .. and we were in a heat wave .. I so look forward to Autumn .. the crisp clean coolness .. but wow, I have such a list of to do's it is going to be tricky to get everything done .. but i am one determined gardener ? LOL

Hello Lis .. I have quite a few Japanese Painted ferns .. I started collecting them quite a few years ago .. this just doesn't seem to have the characteristics of them .. I have no idea whether it will survive our winter or not .. but i have my fingers crossed !!
Thank you so much for your visit and comments on my garden ;-)

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a beautiful garden. I love the winding down and changing of seasons.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn and thanks ! .. that is the look I have been working on .. little surprises around each corner .. that elusive secret garden atmosphere .. I loved that as a child .. wild and free (although mine is a little more contained ? LOL)

Snowbird said...

Everything is looking beautiful. When I saw that sun I thought it was the moon, what an amazing photo.Those seedheads on the grass are so pretty. I agree that the evening light adorning your plants is magical as are your little ghosts, what a perfect name for them. Ahhhh, shame about the monarchs.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thanks so much Snowbird ! ... yes the morning sun was dodging clouds and I captured it just at the right time .. I also thought "what a perfect moon" it could be .. that totally round shape! I love Halloween, so anything pertaining to that , aka GHOSTS ! LOL .. I love ... I am still hopeful maybe the Monarchs might still come .. we can always hope right ?

Natasha Sinha said...

What a gorgeous haven you have here, and your thoughts are balm to the soul.
It’s wonderful to see you on #WordlessWednesday and I wish your garden to flourish and give you so much love in the days to come.

Apologies for writing in late but your post made me smile this Sunday morning.
Thank you 💖

https://natashamusing.com/2020/08/let-it-be-wordlesswednesday-wednesdaywisdom/?preview=true&frame-nonce=8ef8d42e08

You can also link up here for this weeks edition. Be well and keep spreading the cheer.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thank yo so much Natasha .. my garden is a great comfort to me indeed .. and what light i can capture can thrill me at times .. just the simple things do such wonders for me.
I have to circle the calendar to remember the memes ! LOL
PS .. I am glad you smiled over the post .. more smiling is perfect medication for us all ;-)