Pages

Friday 18 September 2020

Autumn is Closing in.


I want to help the bees as much as possible and Joe Pye seems to be the perfect place for them to rest and nap on. Seeing a bee sleep is rather special, I'm glad I have been given that opportunity to help feed them and give them a type of shelter they can rest on.

A flower waterfall has happened with my over the top thalictrum . So many of the tiny bubbles haven't opened yet , but it is time to take the stress off the plant itself, so I wanted this picture, showing how pretty it was to see.

The gardens are still fairly lush looking .. you could say tightly packed ? but once some cutting back happens, so I can see where all those bulbs are going .. it will look a little more spacious.
I try to keep as many of the food sources for the birds and insects going as long as possible. 
I staggered the goldenrod in stages so there would be later flowers to feed from.
I'm still in love with the many hydrangea plants that are flowering their hearts out.
This little weigela Florida My Monet Sunset is a stunner next to the darker ajuga.
There is another "little" weigela in this picture below, but I am not sure what the name is.
I thought it could have been Midnight Wine but it isn't dark enough, however it may not be dark enough because it isn't getting the full sun that it needs for that coloring, yet it is a very pretty little shrub.
Yes I am still addicted to this anemone
I would totally recommend this anemone Curtain Call Pink, it is a blooming machine.
The real test though is, will it come back next season as strong as it is now ?
That is where I have been disappointed before .. but I am banking on the breeders making these types hardier than other doubles I have tried.
I worked on rearranging the front planting so it would have a better flow.
The "specimen" hosta I bought years ago has really paid off with many divisions.
Patience really is a gardener's virtue in so many ways, I need to pay attention to that more often !

Finally , the vine to the left is my variegated Porcelain Berry vine.
The berries are ripening very quickly now but all at different times so the many hues of blue , purple and fuchsia are striking .. the birds will have their choice of them eventually.
I am happy to provide another food source for them  
My BIG order of bulbs are on their way .. I am split between fear and excitement .. and of course PANIC. I need to keep them in the plan I made in my head when I was ordering them ?
It seemed like such a good idea at the time I was ordering them .. now ? I have no idea if it is at all !

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your garden is looking spectacular Joy. It doesn't even look fallish to me as yet. I just received some bulbs to plant. It is so darned dry here I can hardly stick a shovel into the ground. I will have to think about where some of these go. Like you say, one does forget the thoughts about planting where abouts. Have a great weekend.

Christine said...

Joy! Your autumn garden is stunning and gets more beautiful every year. I haven’t been blogging for ages but decided to take a peak at what others are doing. So many of the blogs I follow have dropped out of posting, like me. It’s rather sad. I seem to be busier and busier as I grow older, no longer giving the attention to my garden beds like I used to, which is also sad. It’s so nice to see you still at it and all your efforts have been paying off! Take good care!

Sallysmom said...

Everything is just gorgeous!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Lisa !
Thank you so much .. it is getting cooler and cooler so plants are going to start to die back soon .. I have my BIG box of bulbs to organize now .. I'm sorry you have such dry conditions there , I know it will be difficult to plant bulbs in those conditions, I am wishing for some good rainfall for you ! .. this weekend is almost over and wow, I have a lot of work to do ! Fingers crossed we both get through it with our sanity intact ! LOL

Christine ! How are you ! .. I have missed your blogging, you have such beautiful pictures .. I am always in awe of your header picture .. it would be an absolute dream to see that scenery in person. Yes .. I have periods of time when I neglect the garden but manage to get back to it (I usually drain myself doing it but it gives me satisfaction through all the pain)I have so much hope in how pretty the Spring bulbs will be .. so I really have to kick it up a notch to get those final chores done and dusted so I can dream of the Spring flowers.
I hope you get a chance to work in your garden .. there is something special about that connection I hope you don't lose ! Take care of yourself and please visit when you can :-)

Thank you so much Sallysmom !

Jenn Jilks said...

I enjoy your garden!
My pumpkin plant was frosted a few days ago. I'm so sad!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn .. just saw your post on the deer accident (not sure about the alcohol being involved)
Your header picture is gorgeous ! .. a few more nights of cold temps and we should see some trees here begin to change .. I love seeing Fall colours ;-)

Nadezda said...

Hello, Joy,
I love your garden in autumn. Your thalictrum looks wonderful, I also like the anemones, so tender plants. Your new header is pretty with berries.
Take care,
hugs!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello back Nadezda ;-)
Thank you !.. My little crabapple is trying it's best to look pretty .. I think the leaves will turn a nice golden colour once we really get some frost .. I will be curious to see how these anemone will come back after winter .. fingers crossed !

Jason said...

I'm in love with that Porcelainberry Vine! Sadly our Joe Pye has pretty much all gone crispy with the continuing dry weather (despite the rain at the beginning of the month).

Snowbird said...

Your garden is looking gorgeous, you put me to shame, I have weeds everywhere. I love your sleeping bee, how sweet is that? All the plants look lovely but my favourites are your flower waterfall and that delicious Berry vine, the blues are stunning.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jason .. yes that vine can be quite the show stopper especially when the berries begin to change colour .. I understand your area is hard hit by the drought .. very hard on the plants but that is nature at times .. it tests us ?

Snowbird .. if you saw my gardens today it would be another story .. I haven't been working in them for a couple of weeks .. very scary ! LOL ..that thalictrum did strike me as a flowing flower waterfall, the way it bent over like that .. I hated to cut it off but I have to be wise for the plant to survive the winter and look great next year hopefully !