Pages

Wednesday 26 May 2021

Explosive colour , what do you do with it ?

 

How do you position or treat a plant with explosive colour ? This hybrid from the Azalea Northern Lights collection "Mandarin Lights" just pops in the garden .. I throw the colour wheel out for companion planting that would make sense and just go with the fact that this azalea is one of my original plants (maybe 20 years ago ?) and it can stay exactly where it is happiest even if the colour is mind boggling. It is a narrow window of time that it explodes .. then ? the foliage is beautiful on it's own and the colour gods can relax a little again.

Besides .... it reminds me of Autumn and pumpkins and that is a bonus in my garden book.

A smaller but potent colour blast is allium "Purple Sensation" for which I have become abscessed with. I have planted it along the fence and a bit around garden islands , I just couldn't stop planting them.
Specifically Purple Sensation because it hits the exact tone of purple and strong stem that I am looking  Even after the colour is gone, the structure of the "ball" is like art among the plants .
See that blast of orange on the left side still .. you can't escape it !
Lemony Lace will one day be huge ? and my allium will be perfect alongside it.
Rose Marvel meadow sage .. when you see this meadow sage and the allium in the back ground the colour absolutely matches .. of course I fell off the band wagon of trying not to buy onesy and twosy  ?plants yet again. So I regretfully only have the one to wink at.


9 comments:

Alana said...

I've been admiring the yellow and orange azaleas now in bloom where I live in upstate New York. The color of azaleas and rhododendrons has been spectacular this year. I've never grown the giant alliums - our sunny space is limited, but they sure are delightful to see in other peoples' yards.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I appreciate the strong colors. They make the garden feel so vibrant. I too often plant Orestes. I usually do that to see if a plant will survive in my garden and if it does good I plant some more. Love seeing the long shots of your garden. It looks so good.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Alana and yes the azaleas and rhodos are having a great year this year , but we are suffering an extreme lack of Spring rains .. we are so dry it is scary .. damage will be seen from it in a few weeks. These aren't quite giant .. but a good size and great colour .. and I do have some in shady areas as well .. but I get your point about sunny areas being very limited .. I have that problem too !

Hello Lisa girl and thank you ! Yes strong colours scream for your attention .. and that orange is an attention getter for sure ! You have me wondering what you meant by Orestes ? I googled it and it "one who stands on the mountain"? Greek reference .. I will have to press you for more information ? LOL .. but I am thinking you meant one plant to see if it survives the location ?

Snowbird said...

Oh, that azalea is simply gorgeous, I think it goes beautifully with the alliums and sage. Your garden is a treat to look at.xxx

Anonymous said...

What do you do with explosive colour? You enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts! I love your azalea! Your pretty little sambucus will definitely explode in growth - give it a minute! Also, if it's anything like mine, it will spread, but the babies are easy to pull up.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there you ! Thank you so much ;-) the garden is going to shift into a not so much of a "treat" soon because we are going through a bit of a drought .. I have to hand water until we get our sprinklers activated .. lord ! that watering takes 3 hours .. I'll be a picture when I am through ! LOL

Who are you anonymous ??? LOL .. thank you for the tip .. I kept transplanting that poor sambucus too many times, I think it is mad at me so I have to cut it a bit of a break ?
Glad you like that in your face ORANGE of my azalea, the flowers remind me of little pumpkins!

Jason said...

I have a lot of 'Purple Sensation' and it is a great plant. You may find that it steadily spreads, not a bad thing, even in light or partial shade. Love your Azalea, especially the orange color, though they do no grow well here with our alkaline soil.

Kris Peterson said...

I shied away from string colors in my former smaller, shady garden but strong color works in my current sunnier, hotter and much larger garden so I let it go and enjoy those bright sparks of color while they last. Your "explosive" blasts of color look glorious in my view!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jason .. I am a bit obsessed with Purple Sensation so if it does self seed I think I will be fine with that .. until I am not ? LOL I have mainly acidic loving plants so peat moss and a few other ingredients tend to make them happy , until they are not ? So I always say that caveat when explaining my plants.

Hi Kris .. colour can confound me at times, but I just threw that out the window when I found this azalea .. I had another that was a deep purple but we seemed to be at odds with each other for some reason and the relationship fizzled ? LOL
I do enjoy that jolt in unexpected places .. I just bought a little coneflower that will have all sorts of orangey shades .. I think of Autumn a lot and what colour I can coax out for it.
Thank you !