Pages

Monday 24 May 2021

Fothergilla a Quiet Character ?

 

Fothergilla gardenii aka "Dwarf Fothergilla" aka Witch Alder .. now that should peak some interest you would think right ? .. I have two of these quiet ? but yet dramatic shrubs across from each other and they look amazing in there shaggy flower heads. You can read exactly what it does from the link I have highlighted .. but I can tell you from personal experience ? I would have so many more of them if I could squeeze them into my gardens .. I love them, there is just something so satisfying watching them change throughout the garden year .. I highly recommend them as a dwarf shrub full of interest !


Rodgersia Bronze Peacock  ... it has grown even further since I took this picture .. we had a heat wave that made all the plants lurch forward way to fast for my liking.
Ironically I thought this one might not have made it through the winter .. it is a late emerger.
Once it starts stretching out it is such a foil to it's surroundings .. that foliage is so dramatic and the expectation of the flower stalk .. well, like a mini gardener's Christmas to look forward to ?
The plant explosion is just beginning .. these views have changed again already
Solomon's Seal is taking over a lot more real estate than I planned for, but who can say "no" to them ?
I flat topped the Serviceberry tree .. it just seemed the right shape to have there.
I thought I killed the Purple Leaf Sandcherry but it is leafing out .. it survived me !



8 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

They are unique, aren't they? That side area of your garden is really special. :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This time of year is the gardener's Christmas party where all the guests show up in the garden bearing blooming gifts. We all look forward to each and every one of them.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Beth and thank you ! Yes they are intriguing to me .. I am smitten with them ;-)
I have loved them for years .. I want more ! LOL

Lisa girl hello there .. you are so right it is a Christmas party with so many presents opening up on their own ? With luck and the right planning the gifts will still come through out the year . a little slower but they come !
Then there is Autumn !!! LOL

Jason said...

Fothergilla is a sweet plant, I have a tiny one that won't be much size for years. I always thought there should be a companion plant called Mothergilla.

Nadezda said...

Love Solomon's Seal Joy, They are pretty.
Your garden looks well in sunny day. We have no sun, only cold rain and wind.
My flowers stopped in growing.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Jason and mine started out as tiny too .. I really had to be patient for them to reach this size (and I still want more !) I had such a laugh over your "mothergilla" comment .. I think there should be too !

Nadezda .. those photos of that table were awesome !
Solomon's Seal is a shade garden work horse .. even though it seems to be too happy and multiplying much more quickly for some reason .. they are such a dignified looking plant to me for some reason .. I am so sorry your weather has turned out like that now .. we have been back and forth from hot to cold as well .. but not near enough rain, so you are lucky for that much .. but I will keep my fingers crossed that you get good sunshine soon !!

Snowbird said...

Oh, I wish I had some Solomon's seal, it's lovely. How good everything looks.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Snowbird (thank you !) I wish I could send you some roots of it .. I love sharing a part of my garden with people but I don't think the UK border authority would be too pleased with that attempt ? LOL