Pages

Sunday 17 July 2022

Volunteers , Lilies , and Maintenance

 I have to say 90% of the time I am happy with volunteers because they really do a great job of softening hard edges and directing your eyes right from the ground up if you are paying attention. I love moss so I try to keep it free of too many other volunteers in my shade areas . I was surprised with how many Japanese Painted ferns were popping up in places far from mother plants .

Sedum is tough as nails so I did expect those to run when they got a chance but again that is fine with me because it can be cut back or pulled out very easily. I love Angelina especially in the Autumn when cool weather can force a change in colour. Stonecrop is very forgiving with lack of care, so it is a win win situation in my garden.

As for what is going on in my gardens right now ? Pee Gee hydrangea is the first to show off the beginning of it's beautiful flowers .. Little Lamb is right behind it, and so are the BOBO, Big and Little Quick Fire, along with Little Lime in the front garden. Yes ... I have a thing for panicle hydrangea .
They just get better looking every day and I do so appreciate the start of the next stage in the garden. I know others might groan when I say "roll on Autumn" but that is my thing .. AUTUMN !
Then there are the lilies ....
Dark Landini
Soft pink Elodie
Bright Diamond
Then there are the little treats such as Indian Pinks .. I like how the fern seems to be in love with them too ?
This next one is the case of "thank you plant gods" ... this poor hydrangea (very old and nameless to my chagrin) was cut down to almost just a foot because the maintenance company for our AC said it had to be done that way for a complete cleaning of the unit .. I was thinking "well that may be the end of THAT" However as you see it has come back and but we will see if it flowers.
First flower on a new climbing rose ... kind of a shocking orange right ? if I get it on top of the bench arbor it will be amazing !
This is just a fun photo ... I caught this little hover fly doing it's best to find goodness out of the oregano flower .. how sweet is that ?
Temperatures are in the 30's, severe thunder storms are headed our way this week, so I am very glad to have gotten all the work I did yesterday .. a little time off to work out the aches and pains ! 

14 comments:

Nadezda said...

I have the same story with my hydrangea. I planted it in a rocky garden and it got sick for a long time. I had to trim it before winter. In the spring it was dull again and I cut off all the dead branches. Now she has a lot of buds and will probably bloom beautifully. I hope your hydrangea blooms beautifully too.
Lovely 'Above all' rose. Joy!

Jenn Jilks said...

The lilies are my favourites. Maybe because it is so hard to keep the deer away!!!
I enjoyed your garden tour.

Kris Peterson said...

Japanese painted ferns popping up at will sounds heavenly to me. Ferns of most kinds don't hold up in my climate - I've even had difficulty keeping them alive in my shade house but I suspect inadequate water is at the bottom of that problem, which isn't something I can do much about. I love all your lilies. The rabbits took out many of mine before the plants even had a chance to set buds - I'm still not as savvy as I need to be to thwart them. Most of the Orienpet lilies that survived to bloom are done here but I've seen the first signs that I may get some Amaryllis belladonna to bloom this summer despite our severe drought.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Nadezda ! I am so used to my hydrangea behaving predictably , that the two I have that don't bloom is a mystery to me .. but the foliage is nice so I keep them hoping that one year I might see a bloom .. but this one by the AC was always a great blooming. Yes I have great hopes of this climbing rose looking gorgeous, fingers crossed and years to work on it ? LOL

Hi Jenn and thank you ... I really liked your video of the doe .. and loved the frog of course I so wish for singing frogs in my garden but I'll only see them in my dreams ? haha

Hi Kris, yes I am thrilled I have wonderful volunteers popping up in the oddest places where no JPF has been so it makes me wonder how they are carried to places so far from a mother plant .. another mystery ! I was more pro active with lily beetles this year and the neem oil spray so damage is not so bad .. right now. My favorite are the double white ones, they are GORGEOUS to me. I looked up that lily and it is so pretty ! hope to see photos of it in your garden !

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Your lilies are amazing, along with everything else. Summer is a special time; it can last as long as it wants in my book. We are fortunate to be north of the worst of the heat this summer. We've had much worse summers (dry, hot) in my part of S. Wisconsin, so I'm not complaining. Thanks for sharing your bounty through your lovely photos!

Snowbird said...

Your garden is looking beautiful. I do love to see plants creeping along nooks and crannies'. Oh my....those lilies! I swear I can smell them from here. Loving the little hover fly.xxx

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Beth and thank you ! .. The temperatures and conditions are very scary .. I feel sorry for the people and animals that can't escape it .. it really makes me sad and angry when politicians deny it and stop legislation to combat it .. it is going to be far too late soon.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Snowbird .. my comments are jumbled here for some reason .. must be the HEAT !
Thank you ;-).. my favorite lilies are to unfold as of yet .. they are double white ones and they make me so happy when I see them .. smelling them is a treat too of course .. haha
I have seen such a sweet little bee with an orange belly .. I have to look that one up now my curiosity is peeked !

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope you are now rested from your chores. Your garden is simply gorgeous. I too love the way the fern is in the Indian Pinks. I have finally got some Indian Pinks growing in my garden. They bloom a lot longer if you water well. (imagine that! ha) At least that is something I found true this year. Cheers....

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Lisa girl !
I have been in yoga land this week .. but I have to knuckle under and get back in the garden Saturday .. it has been really hot and humid here (feels like 36 .. 96.8) so I have been hiding in the house because I just can't stand the heat ... I am shocked how many Japanese Painted ferns are popping up in cracks and crevices along the stone pathways, but wow ! I will take them any time ! haha Yup Indian Pinks do well when watered girl , haha .
Keep well and cool !

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Thank you Rajani ! .. Your blog generates some profound thoughts , I appreciate that !

Hoover Boo said...

Gorgeous lilies and ferns. I enjoy seeing your garden with all its beauties, so lovingly cared for and unique to you.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Hoover Boo and thank you so much ! ;-) .. I just came in from puttering (in my nighty .. fence is 8' tall so no one sees me ? but the birds, bees and squirrels ! LOL)
I feel wrung out since the temp and humidity is so high and I am soaked .. yuck ! LOL
It is so nice to read a comment like yours .. thank you ! I needed a perk :-)