Pages

Sunday 12 June 2022

The Obsession

 This time of year brings out the plant crazy in me, or it seems to kick it off for the rest of the season. Green Lotus Peony drives me to take way too many photos of it, seeking the "perfect" one. I had a photo published a few years ago in the British newspaper, the Telegraph , in their garden catalog section, front page , which was a thrill . I am sure that type of thing will never happen again so I have to savor it forever? But it still drives me to get that "just right" photo yet again ... here I go !

Bottom left corner is the original plant.

Only three were open at the time I was snapping.
The ants seemed to be happy campers enjoying what ever ants enjoy on peony ?


It was an overcast day when I was taking these photos which helps tone down the bright white of the petals. The pink streaks become more dominate as the flowers age. I planted "All That Jazz" bare root last Autumn and thankfully it has come up with healthy foliage . I know it may be years before I see those flowers and then I will become obsessed yet again !

Update on the girls growing up ... Willy looks like a full grown cat in body size, and Gracie is not far behind. Time is "warping" by me some days , weeks , months ?
I couldn't fix the "red eye" problem darn it !  Willow's blue eyes are remarkably intense . Gracie's trend from gray to light blue. They are both too smart for their own good !



8 comments:

Kris Peterson said...

Ha! When "special" flower makes an appearance in my garden, I do exactly the same thing. When my Epiphyllum 'King Midas' bloomed last week I must have taken 20 photos, some in the dark when the bloom first appeared and others the next morning. then I took even more with my iPhone ;) Thank goodness for digital cameras - if I still has to depend on firm, I'd be a pauper.

Thanks for sharing the updated photos of your "girls." They look like princesses.

Jenn Jilks said...

There is something about peony!

Martha said...

Hi Joy! I wanted to drop you a line to say hi. Your girls are gorgeous. A home is happiest with two cats in it, am I right? I can't imagine ours without our two sweeties. And your garden is amazing, as always. We've been working hard on ours this spring. Yesterday we planted another two trees brining our total to three! I hope you are keeping well, my friend!

Snowbird said...

Goodness, those cats are beautiful! I just adore the peony, it would happily grace any magazine or newspaper. Even the ants seem to be admiring it!xxx

Nadezda said...

Joy, I understand your love for peony, Actually it is amazing and the color is unusual.
Your cats look smart ones. Nice eyes.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Diana Studer said...

Zoe popped in the cat door and came to say hello as your cats scrolled past.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Kris .. I think the same way .. if we had to depend on film I would be a lot more conservative or broke ? LOL .. Yes the girls are quite the spoiled little princesses ;-)

Hi Jenn ... I was so lucky to get it years ago, now mail order is not what it used to be at all which is sad .. but I understand the business side of it all too today's world is rather cut throat.

Hello there Martha ! .. I get a kick out of your cartoons ! I should actually comment but I admit to lurker ? mode ? LOL Yes .. once we were able to get over the worst of the loss of Sophie, I couldn't help but fall in love again with another Lynx Point .. and then her sister the Snowshoe? how could we not have two such different sisters ? YES to trees !! as many as you can squeeze in Martha !! I have tried to shoe horn as many as possible myself .. thanks very much and take care !

Thank you Snowbird ;-) we have been so lucky with the girls.. and getting the garden up and running finally came about .. I swear to do more Fall clean up this year ? LOL

Dear Nadezda thank you so much for your generosity , I really appreciate your interest in this peony .. it is rather special ... and yes, the girls are too smart for their own good?LOL

Thank you very much Rajani !

Hello Diana .. please thank Zoe for the kitty hellos ... the girls love hearing more meowies ? LOL